If you’re wondering how you could make money by doing close to absolutely nothing then you’ve come to the right place 😉 There are tons of ways you can make some money by doing random tasks on your phone all from the comfort of your own home. My favorite is playing games through the Mistplay launcher of course. But what if you’re too busy to even play games? Yup, that’s most of us!
Believe it or not, there is actually an app that pays you to listen to radio stations. If you haven’t heard of CURRENT, then read on. Music lovers, prepare to be blown away! This app gives any music fan an opportunity to earn money by listening to music. Do you have a long drive to work? Or just want some music to fill the day? I’m been using this app for the past 4 weeks and this is my unbiased review.
Make More & Take Charge of Your Money
6-Figure Income OnlyFans Masterclass: When Rose, top .1% of adult models on OnlyFans, reached out to me about her online course I was skeptical. Hundreds of course sellers & businesses want to work with me, I rarely say yes. But as I learned more about her humble background, OnlyFans modeling experience, her SIX figure earnings, 7+ year modeling experience, and mastery of how to succeed on OnlyFans, I was impressed. You can replicate her success too, check out Rose’s proven strategies on how to earn 6-figures on OnlyFans.
$5 Meal Plan: Meal planning can take loads of time, stress, and money you shouldn’t be spending. That’s where the $5 meal plan comes in. They will give you a customized meal plan, recipes, and grocery list to take the headaches out of meal planning. They have a free 14-day trial, risk-free and you can cancel anytime.
Personal Capital: Sign up and use Personal Capital’s budgeting & net worth calculators for FREE. We use them every week to automate our finances. Think of it as a secure central command station for your finances. It’s awesome!
Table of Contents
What is Current?
Current is a listening app that has over 100,000 radio stations worldwide (and still growing every day). It was created by a U.S. based company called Current Media LLC and started in a small office in Colorado Springs, CO.
Basically, Current lets users the chance to earn points if you listen to the radio through the app. They have their own custom mix of radio suggestions or you can see if they have your favorite local station. There is also Current’s own mix of radio stations that fall under categories like “Top 40” “Workout Flow” or “Nap Vibes.”
Users of Current can obtain points not only by listening to music and podcasts, but also by answering surveys, playing games, referring mates, or watching quick 5 to 30 second ads. Typically the more of these things you do, the higher points rate per minute you earn while listening. The rate per minute varies wildly (from $0.5 cents to $5.0 per minute) and changes a lot throughout the day.
With this app, you can also store your favorite radio stations and download your favorite songs to listen to even when you are offline.
On average, a normal song gives 12 points when you listen to it, no matter what volume level it’s on (except for mute of course.) The reward points you can obtain can also depend on your profile and activity level in the app. A complete profile and longer session of listening offer more reward points.
The longer you listen or test out new radio stations, the more reward points you can collect. These reward points can be easily converted into Paypal cash, Amazon gift cards, promotional offers, and tons of other miscellaneous types of gift cards.
⭐ Recommended Reads
- 33 Authentic Ways To Get Free Amazon Gift Card
- 22 Best Sites to Score FREE Product Samples By Mail
- VeryDice Review: Win Real Stuff With This Free App
Payout Options on Current
Amazon, PayPal, Google Play, Best Buy, Doordash, Ibotta, AMC, Macy’s, Fandango, Walmart, Sephora, Uber, Target, Ebay, Starbucks etc.
I redeem my credits to the Google Playstore for free books.
Where to Download Current?
Current is available worldwide and anyone who has an iOS device or an Android mobile phone that supports this app. To those who are Android subscribers, go to Google Play Store and search for “Current Cash Rewards.” For those who have iOS, simply go to the Apple app store and do the same.
How Do I Get Started on Current?
- If you own an Android or iOS device, simply download and install the app.
- After installing, make sure to register and create an account. All the submitted email addresses and number numbers need to be verified in order to earn & redeem points.
- After you register with your mobile number, you will receive an SMS that contains a verification code. You are allowed to type in the verification code for just 5 minutes.
- After registration, you can now start to explore different radio stations to listen to.
- Set up your profile to get more points and start streaming music using the app.
- Once you store your favorite songs on your phone, you can listen to them even when you’re offline.
- To sign up in the Current app rewards program, right on the bottom of your screen.
- After joining the rewards program, you can begin to accumulate points by listening to music, streaming your favorite radio stations, and even download your most beloved songs in your offline library.
- Current also gives you extra points by verifying your email address and answering a few questions. Additional ways to earn more points include taking part in surveys, playing games, viewing ads, and shopping online.
- You can also earn points by rating the app (you can tell them that you will rate the app, back out, and they will still give you points.)
- The Current app only grants one mobile number, one mobile device for each account.
Is Current App a Scam?
No, Current app is not a scam. It may simply sound too good to be true yes, but Current is legit. Other reward apps and websites pay you for doing all sorts of tasks, so why this too? There is no premium subscription, no hidden fee, it’s completely free to use.
It does its job as a great radio streaming app and it actually pays out to users. How? They make money from advertisers. Current does have internal ads but the ads on Current are not intrusive most of the time. Except for the lock screen, I’ll talk more about that below.
But right now, Current app has more than 300,000 reviews on Google Play Store and has an average of 4.5-star rating. In the Apple app store, Current currently has more than 27,000 reviews. Some reviews say the app is great and they earned 250 points in a span of just 20 minutes. I find myself using it daily and easily doing 200 points in about 30 minutes. The daily check-in and tasks are easy points to earn.
Based on my math, it will take 1-3 months of very passive listening to cash out $25. I use this app very passively at a low rate so your earnings will likely be higher than mine. I only listen to quiet, calming, background music about 30 minutes a day and that’s all. The app is not very intrusive and hey I appreciate free money!
⭐ Recommended Reads:
- 9 Secrets of Becoming a Self-Made Millionaire on a Low Income
- How To Avoid Hiring Scams & Stay Safe Working Online
- 39 People Who Got Richer After Quitting Their Day Jobs
13 Ways to Earn More Points With Current
As mentioned earlier, your rate per minute determines how quickly you earn points and cash out. Current is cool in that you can determine your rate. It can be very passive or more profitable depending on what you want to do. I choose the passive route and on average my rate is $0.8ish per minute. I tried to increase my rate but I just didn’t find a straightforward sign that my rate per minute was increasing. In the end, the surveys and ads were more effort than I would like to exert.
⭐ Want a super easy side hustle instead? Try these legit survey panels that will pay you cash. You can make anywhere from $500 to $800 a month with these survey panels in your spare time.
The only thing I noted as consistent is the more you listen to it the faster your rate drops. I don’t see surveys or ads changing my earning rate very much (even though Current states that it does.)
As I also mentioned above, I simply enjoy listening to radio streaming stations that have soothing background music for when I work is already a win for me. If they choose to pay me for it – awesome!
While streaming the radio, I found only a few radio ads. This depends on the station you’re streaming of course, but some stations I didn’t have any ads. This is a plus, Pandora had lots of ads (every couple of songs). It was annoying!
How to Maximize Current Reward Points
- Listen to your favorite song and save your favorite radio stations.
- Take part in all sorts of surveys. The more surveys you take, the higher points you will receive.
- Current allows you to earn up to 350 points as a bonus for daily goals (checking in at 200, 500, and 1,000 points for bonus.) The more points you score by listening to the radio, the more point bonus you earn.
- Complete your profile info to earn more extra points. Answer a series of personal questions for extra reward points. Current wants your gender, age, address, etc. which is to match you up with surveys. You can opt-out of this option. I personally only gave Current my age and gender. You can still use the app passively and earn money even if you gave them no personal information.
- The longer you stream the music, the better chance you will get higher points.
- Verify your email address to get extra points.
- Turn on the phone lock screen feature to obtain more reward points. Every time I charged my phone, I started earning points. The maximum you can earn per charge is 140 points. If you wanted to improve your earnings, turn on this feature in settings. It’s totally optional.
- Rate the app and give a review to the app to earn points (this is optional too.)
- You will be reminded to check back into the app every so often to confirm you’re still listening to the app. This is usually done by viewing a 5-30 second ad. This is probably the second most annoying thing about Current, but I can understand why they do this. It’s to make sure no one is cheating. By checking back into the app, your earnings will continue.
- Refer other friends to the app to receive extra cash. The app says you can get up to $25 in point value for referring a friend. It seems by that wording, the points you vary depending on what your friend does. You also get an additional 5% when your referred friends earn on the app.
How Does Current Pay?
You can receive up to $1.00 for every 1,000 points as of late 2020. If you want to get a gift card for Starbucks, Walmart, Uber, Target, Sephora, etc. you need to collect at least 8,000 points. Once you collected 8,000 points, click on the points button to redeem the points.
Different vendors have different payout minimums. The ever more popular Amazon gift card, for example, needs you to collect 25,000 points to cash out. When you ask for payment through PayPal, you need to collect 30,000 points to get $20.00.
Apart from PayPal and other gift cards, Current also offers other miscellaneous items for redemption such as smartwatches, projector, mini drones, Bluetooth flashlights, Bluetooth speakers, mobile phone chargers, waterproof Bluetooth speakers, and even portable block chargers. They have different rotating promotions – users have lots of options besides gift cards that may offer a higher value than $1 per 8,000 points.
- 45 General Transcription Companies Hiring – Easy Guide for Beginners
- Proofreading Legal Transcripts – Flexible, Profitable, 100% Work from Home
- How To Make Money Teaching English Online From Anywhere
My Current Usage Experience
Overall I enjoy using this app. I love streaming music on great undiscovered radio stations – especially stations with background music or ambient music that does not have ads. I love getting paid for it and it doesn’t take forever. After 1 week, I was already almost 25% of the way to my target of a $25 dollar gift card.
But I hate just these 2 things about Current:
1. The check-ins Current makes you do, to make sure you’re still actively listening instead of just streaming for points. It’s typically a short ad (less than 5 seconds) but occasionally there’s an ad for 30 seconds and it’s required in order to verify you’re “still there.” I can understand why they have this check so it’s necessarily annoyance.
2. The second hate is probably the one that would stop this app from being 100% passive. It could be a deal-breaker for someone who would otherwise love this app…and that is the mandatory lock screen. Current is going to dominate your lock screen with an ad whenever you turn your display on. You cannot opt-out (as of 2020) of it and it is annoying especially if you have a passcode. It adds an extra step to unlocking your phone. It is also probably why this app tends to drain battery more than music streaming apps like Pandora and Spotify.
⭐ Recommendations for You
- 1-2-3 Steps: Making Money Streaming & Playing Video Games on Twitch
- Work For Shipt & Make Extra Money (Can You Really Make $22/Hour?)
- Create Your Own Unique Subscription Box To Sell With Cratejoy
Current App Review Summary
- Easy, free radio streaming.
- Ample radio stations for any genre and mood.
- Earn extra points with easy daily tasks that reward you for listening to music.
- Good sound quality with minimal radio ads (although it depends on a specific station.)
- You can browse and cruise as many stations as you want.
- You can save your favorite stations and keep them offline.
- You can listen to the radio at any volume (except mute) and it will count for points.
- Payout varies from Amazon to Paypal to Starbuck to Target – tons of options to choose from. If you don’t want gift cards, they also have ample promotional offers and physical prizes up for grabs.
- Offers other ways to earn points if you want to speed up your point progress.
- There is a referral program. For every signed up user or subscriber, you will receive up to $25 worth of points when they start listening. You can also receive a supplementary 5% of all the points they earn for life.
- Payout minimums and point minimums that require at least 1 week of activity (about 8,000 points.)
- Can be a battery and data hog.
- Lockscreen slows down your phone’s responsivity.
- Search function for finding radio stations can be improved (currently only searching exact keywords.)
- Your earning rate can vary wildly depending on factors that Current does not make transparent.
- Check-in ads that are required every so often in order to earn music.
- Mandatory lock screen full of ads that will be bothersome when you are trying to unlock your phone.
- Referring to friends has a limit. You hit a maximum amount of $250 in referral rewards. But you can still get 5% of all user’s point earnings for life.
Restrictions to Using Current
Similar to any other app, there are some restrictions when using Current app. For instance, your Current app account can be blocked if you use a VPN to try to open the app. Also, you are only permitted to use just one account.
You cannot register with the app if you use a VOIP phone number. You also need to avoid using an online emulator to imitate a legitimate phone number. Even if you own more than one device, you are only allowed to register just one account.
It doesn’t matter what age group you’re in, Current has something for any listening ears regardless of your listening preferences.
You won’t have to limit yourself to listen to the same stations. All the stations I’ve frequeted all have superb sound and minimal ads.
Despite having a mandatory ad-driven lock screen and occasional check-ins, using this app has been otherwise straight forward. It’s now a routine to my day when I want some nice ambient music while I work. I get free music playing without having to shell out $5/month to Pandora.
With minimal ads and easy listening, you have yourself a great radio streaming app that pays.
⭐ Relevant Reads: